With the Freycinet National Park on the doorstep, there’s a world of deserted islands, wild bushland and secluded beaches to explore from Saffire. Saffire has developed a range of activities to suit all ages and interests, from bushwalks to gourmet picnics in remote locations and quad biking through the national park.
Included in all Saffire accommodation bookings is a broad range of activities offering innovative options for all styles of travellers and moods. From 1 hour to 3 hours, these activities offer the opportunity for guests to engage and connect with this stunning location. From adventure to romance, rejuvenation to exploration the Saffire range of activities add greater depth and dimension to a visit to Freycinet.
“It's actually quite hard to drag yourself out of the room, but the effort is rewarded.” Peter Shadbolt, Financial Times UK
Some examples include:
- Experience the contrast between wetland ecology and the massive life of the Tasman Sea on a Quad Bike excursion.
- Slip on waders and take a walk into the secret life of oysters and mussels at Freycinet Marine Farm.
- Don a jacket and spend an hour with Saffire's renowned Chef to learn the methods behind some innovative “two hat” culinary delights. Tastings essential!
- Learn the secrets behind the sweetness in an unforgettable Beekeeping Experience. Dress in a full-body apiarist suit and venture into Saffire's private apiary, with hives overlooking the Hazards Mountains and witness the breathtaking natural phenomenon of honey-making by Tasmanian bees.
- Venture out on mountain bikes on a specially devised interpretive route or, for those wanting a longer and more technical adventure book one of the Saffire guides to tackle the much more rugged track from Cape Tourville.
- Fringing Saffire is a variety of seemingly untouched pockets of paradise amongst gorgeous coastal reserve. For those “in the know” of minimal impact techniques, these places can be the ideal setting for a gourmet picnic “for two” hamper. Absorb the magical atmosphere of the distant Hazards while enjoying quality Tasmanian fare.
- The Saffire Tasmanian Devil Experience offers you the rare opportunity to encounter Tasmanian devils in a natural setting, and to participate in the quest to save this endangered species from extinction.
Designed for guests to deepen their East Coast discovery, Saffire's Signature Experiences are not included in the accommodation rate, but can be purchased prior to or upon arrival. The Schouten Island Experience, exclusive to Saffire guests, is a unqiue journey to a harsh and unforgiving place, yet a place so fertile that people have been drawn there for thousands of years.
Schouten Island’s vast and abundant eco-system has played a part in early Aboriginal settlement, and farming, mining and fishing in the area. Now, it is part of the Freycinet National Park, a rarely explored, wild, unpredictable, delicate and unforgettable place both above and below the sea.
The Saffire team can also arrange helicopter transfers to experience the world-class Barnbougle Dunes Golf Course.
A recommended third-party experience, situated at Currawong Lakes, is to test your aim at one of Australia's premier clay target shooting ranges or participate in a premium dry fly fishing experience. Of particular note are the hatches of red spinners which start regularly in late October and continue on until the end of the Tasmanian trout season in late March.
For further information, visit.