Restaurant Manager - Kangaroo Island
Globally celebrated and the winner of multiple, prestigious awards since first opening in 2008, Southern Ocean Lodge is set to reopen in late November on Kangaroo Island (KI) after it was destroyed in the 2020 bushfires.
‘Onwards and upwards’ as we like to say, and after much exciting planning, the recreation of Southern Ocean Lodge (nicknamed ‘SOL2.0’) is now well underway on KI’s wild west coast. The buzz of anticipation is already growing from media, the travel industry, our own team and guests from across Australia and around the world as we edge ever closer to opening day.
Southern Ocean Lodge is part of Baillie Lodges - an Australia-based collection of 10 award-winning luxury lodges with properties in four countries and across three continents.
This is an exciting opportunity for an experienced Restaurant Manager to join our Southern Ocean Lodge family on Kangaroo Island.
Southern Ocean Lodge’s food philosophy very naturally, is underpinned by the glorious gastronomic abundance. Actively sourcing growers who adopt sustainable farming practices, one of the hallmarks of our cuisine is the close relationships we have with local Kangaroo Island artisan food and wine producers. You will bring your knowledge of South Australian wine to life by recommending and sharing with our guests the stories of our products from the open cellar bar. Reporting to the Assistant Lodge Manager, you will be encouraged to have input into menu design and wine pairings.
You will be a natural leader, with an engaging and infectious manner. You will nurture the team and provide a fun and energetic environment in which they can thrive alongside you. You will be responsible for the delivery of a relaxed yet stylish dining experience for our guests, team training and development and payroll management.
With an expected start date in August, this position offers the ultimate lifestyle while enabling the successful candidate to continue their career in a professional hospitality environment. This is an ideal time to join Baillie Lodges, with strong growth and career opportunities as the group continues to expand on a global scale.
You will have…
- Experience in restaurant management, ideally in the luxury segment
- A passion for all things food & beverage, and love serving high-quality produce in a relaxed yet professional work environment
- Sound knowledge of South Australian wines
- Strong payroll management skills and financial acumen
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of guests and team members
- The willingness to support the Food & Beverage and broader lodge team in day-to-day operations
- Availability to work varied shifts, including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and public holidays
- Full South Australian Drivers license, Apply First Aid, Responsible Persons Badge SA or the ability to obtain all of these
- Onsite individual accommodation unit with ensuite, and all meals included
- Enjoy the staff facilities – use the outdoor gym, tend to the garden or take one of the bikes for a ride to the beach
- Extensive departmental training and the ability to cross train in other areas of the lodge
- Team and family accommodation discounts across all Baillie Lodges properties
- Family culture and new friendships await – regular social outings, BBQ’s and group activities
Baillie Lodges is an Australia-based collection of award-winning luxury lodges, each a leader in personal and sustainable travel. Our unique destinations include Capella Lodge on Lord Howe Island, Longitude 131° at Australia’s spiritual heart, Uluru-Kata Tjuta, Silky Oaks Lodge in the Daintree Rainforest, The Louise in the Barossa Valley wine region, New Zealand’s iconic Huka Lodge and Clayoquot Wilderness Lodge on Vancouver Island, Canada. The trio of Tierra Hotels in Chile including Atacama, Patagonia and Chiloe joined the collection in 2022.