Experiences Manager - Kangaroo Island
Globally celebrated and the winner of multiple, prestigious awards since first opening in 2008, Southern Ocean Lodge is set to reopen in late November on Kangaroo Island (KI) after it was destroyed in the 2020 bushfires.
‘Onwards and upwards’ as we like to say, and after much exciting planning, the recreation of Southern Ocean Lodge (nicknamed ‘SOL2.0’) is now well underway on KI’s wild west coast. The buzz of anticipation is already growing from media, the travel industry, our own team and guests from across Australia and around the world as we edge ever closer to opening day.
Southern Ocean Lodge is part of Baillie Lodges - an Australia-based collection of 10 award-winning luxury lodges with properties in four countries and across three continents.
We now have a rewarding opportunity for an Experiences Manager to join our Southern Ocean Lodge family on Kangaroo Island.
You are a natural storyteller with a passion for sharing the history of the island and connecting guests with the environment. Your office is the outdoors, and you enjoy bringing people together to explore some of Australia’s most beautiful unspoilt wilderness. Where your day is spent being a true host to our guests, managing the consistent delivery of high-quality tours and creating the ultimate itinerary for all guests.
Reporting to the Assistant Lodge Managers and with an expected start date in August, you’ll be responsible for the training, development and accreditation of all guides in your team. In this role, you’ll build strong relationships with key local industry partners, including government and third-party tour operators. You’ll have a strong safety focus, ensuring safe practices are observed by guides and guests and with your first aid experience, you are confident to respond to any emergency. When you’re not creating itineraries, product enhancements or out in the field, you’ll manage payroll, inventory and cost control and welcome jumping in to help out the wider lodge team to ensure the smooth operations of the lodge.
You’ll have extensive knowledge of Australian animals and plants, especially those that are endemic to Kangaroo Island. Additionally, your understanding of the local history and indigenous culture provides a balanced, yet educational experience for our guests.
This is an ideal time to join Baillie Lodges, with strong growth and career opportunities as the group continues to expand on a global scale.
You will have…
- Appropriate tertiary qualifications and/or significant experience within the hospitality or eco-tourism industry
- Proven experience as a team leader and naturalist guide
- Extensive knowledge of native flora, fauna and ecology, and the ability to provide relevant information and interpretation to guests
- A great sense of humour and the ability to instil this approach in your team
- The willingness to support the Experiences team and broader lodge team in day-to-day operations
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate with all levels of guests and team members
- The ability to work across flexible rosters including weekdays, weekends, public holidays, and school holidays
- A full South Australian Drivers license and South Australian Small Passenger Vehicle license
- First Aid and SA Responsible Persons Badge qualifications (we can assist in facilitating this requirement)
- Onsite individual accommodation unit with ensuite, and all meals included
- Enjoy the staff facilities – use the outdoor gym, tend to the garden, or take one of the bikes for a ride to the beach
- Extensive departmental training and the ability to cross-train in other areas of the lodge
- Team and family accommodation discounts across all Baillie Lodges properties
- Family culture and new friendships await – regular social outings, BBQ’s and group activities